Basic no-knead bread recipe
No need to knead! Yay!
<> Heavy pot with lid that can go in the oven
<> Tea towel
<> Parchment paper cut to the size of the bottom of the pot
<> 3 cups of bread flour in a big bowl. If mixing flours, 2 1/2c bread flour + 1/2c other
<> 1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast
<> 1 teaspoon of table salt
<> 1-1/2 cups of lukewarm water.
1. Stir in the bowl till it looks like a straggly lump
2. Put plastic wrap over the dough in the bowl. Let rise 12-20 hours in a warm place.
3. Dump the now expanded lump onto floured surface.
4. Wet hands. Fold the edges of the dough towards the middle. Turn dough over and tuck edges as needed.
5. Gently move dough onto a well-floured (can use cornmeal or wheat bran) towel, seam-side down. Place in the bowl again. Cover with edges of towel (dust dough with flour or cornmeal if sticky). Let rise for 2 hours till doubled in size.
6. Preheat baking pot (and lid) for at least 30 minutes at 450F.
7. Remove the hot pot from oven. Place a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of the pot to keep the dough from sticking to the pot. Lift the towel, turn it over and drop the dough into the hot pot.
8. Cover pot, return to oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then uncover and bake further for 15-30 minutes till crust is deep brown. To check – tap the bread. It should sound hollow.
9. Remove from pot and let cool completely (at least an hour) before slicing.