Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sauerkraut hint: Keep it cool

It's only been a few days now, so I don't really have much of a report to make.  I don't have a basement, so I'm keeping the crock in my kitchen sink in a pan with a little cool water in the bottom.  The evaporation keeps the crock cooler than air temperature. This is an old-time trick for keeping something cooler than room temperature, and you can add to the effect by draping a kitchen towel over the crock and letting the ends dip into the water so that it wicks up and evaporates, adding to the cooling effect.

You don't have to keep your crock in a sink if you don't have a basement - you could keep it in a closet or someplace that just doesn't tend to get warm, but an enamel sink (or bathtub) tends to keep itself cooler than air temp for some reason. Plus I am perfectly capable of totally forgetting about the sauerkraut if I stashed it somewhere out of the way.

So far the sauerkraut is smelling fine, and there's no sign of mold.  I have a 16 oz. glass of water sitting on the plate to weight it down and that seems to be working just fine.  This weekend I'll remove the glass and the plate, peel back the covering leaves and do a taste test!


No comments:

Post a Comment